11 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

This is a classic and possibly overdone combination for a pale ale.  My wife and I were at a craft beer festival earlier this spring/summer and had a nice pale ale that we kept going back for.  I knew the brewer and asked him about the hops and he confirmed, Amarillo & Citra.  My wife said, "I could drink a lot of this".  Okay, so I set out to make this beer and I just took a sample from the keg with a cobra tap about 5 minutes ago.  Just like the beer at the fest only fresher and my own creation.  A nice APA for sure.

Amarillo & Citra APA

8 lbs Rahr Pale Ale malt

1 lb Munich 10L

6 ounces Crystal 60L

1 oz Mt. Hood pellets 5.9% for 60

1 oz Amarillo 8.2% for 5

1 oz Citra 13.2% for 5

1 oz Amarillo 8.2% for 2

1 oz Citra 13.2% for 2

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

OG: 1.052, FG: 1.013, IBU: 51, SRM: 7, ABV: 5.0%

I mashed for 60 mins at 151°.  The sample was outstanding.  Clean, crisp and everything I was hoping it would be.  Does my wife like hoppier beer than I do?  I guess so.  She actually goes all over the beer map but she seems to enjoy the grapefruity character of the Amarillo.  Really nice beer and I'll snap a shot of it when I can.  Cheers.

Ps. I could swear I posted this recipe but I couldn't find it.  If someone else sees it, LMK. 

Edited by KenLenard, 22 August 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Looks and sounds awesome Ken!! I brewed an APA a few years ago when Citra was new and just catching on.  Here is a look at my grain and hop bill.  Amarillos and Citras play so well together!  Great combination.  Enjoy!!

8 lb Row) US 2 Row(2.0 SRM) Grain 1 76.2 %

2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 19.0 %

8.0 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %

0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 21.6 IBUs

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 4.8 IBUs

0.50 oz Citra [11.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 6.2 IBUs

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 2.6 IBUs

0.50 oz Citra [11.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.4 IBUs

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

1.00 oz Citra [11.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Pacman Yeast (Wyeast Laboratories #1764) [50.00 ml] Yeast 11 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 % Bitterness: 38.7 IBUs Calories: 179.9 kcal/12oz

Edited by ncbeerbrewer, 22 August 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#3 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Yeah, that sounds like a definite winning combo. Congrats.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:11 AM

I love Citra and Amarillo together. I would like to know if you think the Mt Hood brings anything to the final beer or if you just use it because you are a big Mt Hood fan?  If I was to do that recipe I would use Magnum at 60 just to get the bittering to where I want it.  Nothing wrong with how you did it just curious that is all.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

I used the Mt. Hood for bittering because it's clean and I know it would do its job without getting in the way of the Amarillo & Citra.  It would be like using Magnum except I didn't have any Magnum.  My other choice was Northern Brewer since I have a bunch of it and its characteristics are similar.  I told my wife this keg was in the spare fridge last night and my guess is that it will be moved to the taps for some weekend drinking.  :frank:

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

This is a classic and possibly overdone

Heresy

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

I used the Mt. Hood for bittering because it's clean and I know it would do its job without getting in the way of the Amarillo & Citra.  It would be like using Magnum except I didn't have any Magnum.  My other choice was Northern Brewer since I have a bunch of it and its characteristics are similar.  I told my wife this keg was in the spare fridge last night and my guess is that it will be moved to the taps for some weekend drinking.  :frank:

Sounds good to me!

#8 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Not a huge fan of Amarillo and Citra by themselves in the boil. Both need blended to bring out their best. Blended for flavor Id personally pass but late/hopback/dry I can get on board with. 

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

Not a huge fan of Amarillo and Citra by themselves in the boil. Both need blended to bring out their best. Blended for flavor Id personally pass but late/hopback/dry I can get on board with. 

I tried a Citra-only and while it was not without its charm, it wasn't one of my favorites.  I think I might like all-Amarillo or clean hop for bittering and then a bunch of late Amarillo but Citra-only and Galaxy-only left me a little unsatisfied.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

This beer came out fantastic.  The Mt. Hoods were lost in the weeds with all of that Amarillo and Citra added in the last 5 minutes.  The beer is very smooth and doesn't seem to have a lot of bitterness but the Amarillo & Citra are outrageously good with all of that late flavor and aroma.  Here's a [not very good] shot...

Posted Image

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

Curiosity is killing me Ken. You made no mention. And since this is the hoppiest beer I have heard of you brewing, I have to know...What did you do with your Cl/SO4 ratio for this beer?

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

Curiosity is killing me Ken. You made no mention. And since this is the hoppiest beer I have heard of you brewing, I have to know...What did you do with your Cl/SO4 ratio for this beer?

I cut the water 25% with distilled and then added 1g of gypsum and 2g of CaCl.  My source water has a bit more SO4 than Cl so the balance was close but probably favored chloride slightly.  Honestly... I think I inadvertently made Moon Man.  I know MM is supposed to have 5 different hops including a NZ hop but this is close enough to Moon Man for me.  Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users